Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Mitsubishi Mini-Split Ductless Air Conditioner

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

In article ,
"Smarty" wrote:

The non-technical issues, for me, are the real issue....namely the
warranty and support. The unit is much more complex than the average
unit, with a DC inverter and microprocessor controlling a variable
speed compressor, separate line sets to 2 zones (in my case), and a
relatively short warranty (1 year parts, 5 year compressor) given
the high cost of the equipment. There is a lot of ambiguity as to
whether the warranty will even have any validity if the unit is
self-installed, and replacement parts are not cheap.....

Thanks for lots of good info.

Are you sure about that warranty? I was looking at the Mitsubishi
web site and most seemed to quote 5 year parts and 7 year
compressor which seems much more reasonable. Perhaps that's
changed very recently?

http://catalog.mitsubishipro.com/category/

This is a very interesting point Malcolm which I am glad came up. The
Mitsubishi brochure I was given by the first HVAC contractor who
estimated my job has the warranty periods I quoted to you, was printed
in 2008, and apparently offered a shorter warranty on both parts and
compressor. I had not realized that Mitsubishi had extended the
warranty length for both the parts warranty excluding the compressor as
well as the parts warranty for the compressor, apparently sometime
between 2008 and the present time.

At Mitsubishi's consumer website,

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/...urces/warranty
-statement

they show the current warranty as amended in June 2010 showing exactly
what you stated. I see some Google links showing the older warranty
periods, as well as a 5 year warranty on all parts including the
compressor which they apprently offered on the MR series in the not too
distant past.

This longer warranty of 5 and 7 years is much more appropriate, but
still short on the compressor in my opinion. My current Lenox system
had its Copeland Scroll Compressor replaced in the 10th year under
warranty, for example, saving me at least a grand or more.