Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A realization on "G code scripts"

On 2010-07-23, wrote:
On Jul 22, 6:21*pm, Ignoramus24043 ignoramus24...@NOSPAM.
24043.invalid wrote:

[ ... ]

Great approach. Cover the basics first. Since I have a mill, I have to
write all codes etc. (and if I cut its table in half accidentally, it
will be my loss to eat!)

If, when using one of your programs, you suddenly hit an emergency
stop button, does your program stop, also? Then are you able to go
back to the operation that stopped and continue on? Something to
consider.

I consider it to be very likely using EMC.

However -- using my Compact-5/CNC lathe (Emco-Maier 5" swing,
stepper driven, 6502 CPU) not only can I not restart from the step which
I stopped on -- but I lose the entire program (unless I saved it on tape
first), because it drops power from the CPU and spindle motor as well as
the stepper motors.

And if you have the encoder counters powered by an alternative
power source (e.g. the Servo-To-Go board has provisions for a battery to
back up the counters and continue power to the encoders) you can even
have the machine record how far it was moved by manually manipulating
the powered-down servo motors or the leadscrews (if they rotate -- the
Bridgeport BOSS-3 X-axis does not -- the nut rotates in precision
bearings instead, so you avoid whip in the leadscrew at high speeds --
as though you could accomplish high speeds with the original stepper
motors in the BOSS-3.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564