Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
Roy Roy is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in yourback yard in the open air question

On 7/22/2010 1:50 PM, Bill Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:40:52 -0500, JimT wrote:

I would not store more than 2 gallons at the most...

At this point, I just want to find out what the law says about storage and
transportation of 5-gallon gasoline containers.

So far, nobody can come up with a California law. NY law was interesting
though. So a Ca law probably exists (hell, in California, you can't even
put a GPS on the windshield).

We just can't find any California law regarding either storage of 5-gallon
cans of gasoline or transportation of 5-gallon portable containers filled
with gasoline.

You should contact your local planning department with regards to
storage. They are the best place to start. Another good place is your
local fire department since it involves hazardous material storage.

As far as transportation, I did find this

"It is ILLEGAL to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of
hazardous waste in your personal vehicle."

I suspect 15 gallons of gasoline is the maximum not counting the vehicle
fuel tank.