Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
Bill Murphy Bill Murphy is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:40:52 -0500, JimT wrote:

I would not store more than 2 gallons at the most...

At this point, I just want to find out what the law says about storage and
transportation of 5-gallon gasoline containers.

So far, nobody can come up with a California law. NY law was interesting
though. So a Ca law probably exists (hell, in California, you can't even
put a GPS on the windshield).

We just can't find any California law regarding either storage of 5-gallon
cans of gasoline or transportation of 5-gallon portable containers filled
with gasoline.

BTW, 2 gallons is ridiculously small. I use a 2-gallon can just for the
two-stroke equipment, let alone the four-stroke equipment and the off-road
bikes and the riding mower and the generator. Two gallons would last less
than a few hours, being so ridiculously small as to not be feasible.

So far, the law seems to start at 120 gallons, which is way above the
practical minimum. I'd guess the practicable minimum for an average
homeowner to be at least 5 gallons (assuming only minor lawn equipment).

You always need an absolute minimum of two cans, one for the two strokes,
and one for the four stroke engines.