Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Mitsubishi Mini-Split Ductless Air Conditioner

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

In article ,
"Smarty" wrote:

No Malcolm, I will be using a local HVAC contractor. I did install a
prior 3 ton Freon system here years ago, and had the luxury of a
pre-charged line set, diaphragm-piercing Shrader valves, and a
stronger back than I have now. Buying a jug of refrigerant was a
piece of cake.

I'd like to add a mini-split to my home office next year.

I did read about one guy who self installed the units and
then hired an HVAC guy off Craigslist to charge up the
system for $200. I'm tempted to try something similar.

As it happens we replaced our main a/c and furnace this
week -- 5 ton system. That I was happy to leave to the
professionals. I hear ya on the back thing, having a
badly herniated disc myself.

Self install is, from the technical perspective, a very attractive
option, since Mitsubishi publishes (as a PDF file on the web) a
detailed, step-by-step guide, and the equipment can be purchased all
over the Internet at very nice prices (such as $1804 for the 2 ton,
single zone unit, delivered, no tax). The outdoor unit does weigh about
140 pounds, but is very small and easy to roll around on a dolly after
the truck drops the unit off with a liftgate (no extra charge) at your
driveway. The interior unit is about 42 inches long, weights maybe 40
pounds, and takes a couple people to lift and install it, mostly due to
the size rather than the weight.

The R-410 work requires the right tools and expertise, but the
electrical and drain are a piece of cake, with the only minor work
being to cut a single 2.5 inches through the exterior wall to bring out
the line set, the drain, and the wiring in a bundle and thread them
through a conduit, gutter, or plastic protective shell from Mitsubishi
as they pass from the interior to the exterior unit. Having the right
tubing bender is important, and I wound up renting one the last time
with no problems.

The non-technical issues, for me, are the real issue....namely the
warranty and support. The unit is much more complex than the average
unit, with a DC inverter and microprocessor controlling a variable
speed compressor, separate line sets to 2 zones (in my case), and a
relatively short warranty (1 year parts, 5 year compressor) given the
high cost of the equipment. There is a lot of ambiguity as to whether
the warranty will even have any validity if the unit is self-installed,
and replacement parts are not cheap.....

In the balance, I decided that I have "paid my dues" by previously
installing HVAC more than once in this house, as well as continuing to
do every humidifier, electronic filter, combustion blower, condenser
fan, igniter, contactor, and every other installation and repair that
has come along since the late 1960s. More important, I think this type
of product 'deserves' a professional installation, especially as I am
considering a multi-zoned system using 2 or possibly 3 line-sets to the
same compressor.

As far as herniated disks and related horror stories, I feel your

Thanks again for your comments!