Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Big triumph, HOME SWITCHES WORK AND MACHINE HOMES

Ignoramus24043 wrote:

What happens is that if I approach home slowly, the home switch
triggers, but since the table stops instantly, it untriggers.

You may have oil in the switches. Now that you are using it, it may
clear up after a while. (or, it may get bad enough you will need to
eventually replace the switches. Watch during homing for it to ignore
the switch and just keep moving.)
If the
table moves fast, it takes it some distance to stop (1mm?) and by that
time, the switch is fully actuated. Homing fast is what I want,
anyway.

The question I have is how fast should I be in my index-finding move
(latching move).

Although the latest incarnation of the PPMC does this all in hardware at
10 MHz speed, it seems prudent that you shouldn't be moving more than 1
encoder count per servo cycle, or typically 1000 counts/second. But, in
fact, it doesn't matter, as the encoder counter is zeroed in hardware
when the index pulse is detected and the zero-count-on-index logic is
enabled.

Jon