Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some kind of macro system for G-codes, for linux

On 2010-07-22, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 22 Jul 2010 03:13:34 GMT
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

snip
So what was the rationale for the "xcalc" name for yours?
(Or was it written by someone else?)

I went back and looked at my post that started this and I see what I
wrote is ambiguous, my bad...

I didn't write the Windows Xcalc program. I did some web searching and
figured out where I downloaded it from years ago. Then I clipped part
of the creators web page (seeing I was looking at it) and posted that
here in between the "===" markers.

O.K. That is what I was beginning to suspect.

I hate it when people post blind links here with no idea what you'll
find at the other end...

Amen!

If I pay any attention to the posting -- I tend to first do a
jwhois to find out where the system behind that link is located. Then I
might also check it out with http://www.aboutus.org. You can either
connect there and then enter the domain name, or tack it on the end of
the URL as in:

http://www.aboutus.org/d-and-d.com

for my domain.

snip
For the unix version, it makes since, since it runs under the
X11 windowing system, and a lot of early unix programs to run under X11
tend to start with 'x'.

I think the guy just liked the name, it isn't like the xcalc version
that came with my Ubuntu Karmic version. I did some digging and that
seems to be the X11 version you are thinking of.

Almost certainly so.

It can either mimic an
old TI-30 or HP-10c in its RPN mode.

Yes -- that is it. A pity it doesn't do the HP-15c instead. :-)

This Windows Xcalc has a lot more
bling, but nothing terribly bad.

O.K.

snip
O.K. But I thought that there was a mention of running it under
Wine (the linux based Windows emulator). Or is the idea to run the same
program on both Windows and the linux systems?

The one I linked to is a Windows app, the creator mentions that it
seems to run okay using Wine (linux) though. I still have a copy but
haven't felt the need to try running it via Wine. I've been using
"gcalctool 5.28.2" for most of my calculator needs now. I also installed
Gnumeric (decent spreadsheet app) and Genius. I had a few things I used
Euler for but they suggest running it with Wine now, only offer an old
version that is written for Linux. Genius seems to be similar in
features and is supported on Ubuntu.

Sorry for all the confusion

That's O.K.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564