Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone recognise this intercom equipment?

My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.

Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a button for each flat, thus:
http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG

Inside each flat, there's a handset with a button to press to release the door, thus: http://www.mills37.plus.com/Handset.JPG

Problem is that mine doesn't work properly, and I probably need to replace the handset. The symptoms are these:

A caller presses my button on the outside intercom, and a buzzer sounds in the flat - ok.

I pick up the handset and speak, but the caller can't hear me. [If the caller speaks, I can hear them - but they're not likely to
unless they hear me first!]

If I press the button on my handset, the door unlocks - but the caller can't hear my instruction to push the door!

I can't find any ID (make/model, etc.) on the handset or outside intercom and wondered whether any of you might recognise it. I'd
like to replace the handset to see whether that fixes the problem.

It's been many years since I dirtied my hands on that stuff, It was when my Grandmother was alive and I wired an extension to her
chair-side table using an old POTS phone with most of the guts removed.

IIRC the system is very simple; primitive in fact.
A DC PSU, carbon microphones in the outside panel and the handsets
No amplification!
The phone cradle is badly made, hook switch leaf spring need adjusting contacts
cleaning, etc.
It's very basic stuff, just make a sketch of how the cable connects to the cradle first.

At the time I was maintaining a lot of Panasonic GX PBAX systems, so had a supply of replacement carbon mic inserts.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%