Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Paralleled Amplifier Wiring

On Jul 21, 6:55 am, "j r powell" wrote:

I have a small stereo amplifier which came with two tiny 4ohm 3watt speakers.
I'd like to combine the two channels of the amp in order to drive one, slightly
larger, 8ohm 4watt speaker.
The amp is of the non-bridgeable type,

The power limit might not be the amplifier output stages,
but the common power supply. So, you'd just connect
to the left channel and ignore the other.

Alternately, you could transformer-couple and put the
left and right channel outputs in series (not parallel), to
get good drive into an 8 ohm speaker. Transformers,
though, aren't cheap. Doing this only gains you 3 dB,
it's scarcely worth the effort.

More efficient speakers (two of 'em, not one) is the
preferred solution if you don't like what you've got.