Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default OT - eye test

In article , djc
scribeth thus
dave wrote:

Do other people find the same or do eyes generally get worse over time?

I can't say. During my thirties my left eye started to elongate and I
was warned that my retina could detach. I ended up with a glasses lens
that was very thick in that eye. I then changed to hard contact lenses
until I was diagnosed with a cataract in the that eye. When the doctors
opperated I ended up with 20 20 vision in that eye (1998)

2008 I was diagnosed as having a detached retina and was told my vision
would never be the same again. It was not quite as good, but good enough
to drive without glasses.

I used to wear glasses for driving. Five years ago I had a detached
retina, and as a side-effect cataract operation was required . Since the
cataract operation I've found my distance vision better without glasses
even though the damaged eye alone has very poor vision at any distance.
There seems to be some cognitive process at work that extracts the good
patches from my damaged retina. On the other hand I am now too old to
read without glasses.

Yes I had a similar thing as posterior vitreous detachment PVD which is
the precursor to a detached retina a lot of the time.. Had it welded
back into place by Argon Laser.

Almost shat meself when he said "come back after lunch and we'll weld it
up";!..

Been fine ever since and with glasses its as good as you need to be a
commercial passenger jet pilot...

Watch out for any sudden appearance of "Floaters" those little bits of
stuff you see in your eyes sometimes especially against a bright Sky or
PC screen, they are usually a strong indication that its starting to
detach, get it checked right away!...

That Argon laser is about the brightest thing you'll ever see. Blinds
you for a round 10 mins but totally painless. Just need to look at the
white alignment cross with the good eye, else they might miss the bit
there're welding around the rim, and put some spots on the bits that are
still useful!.

-Not good- as capt'n Hook would say....
--
Tony Sayer