Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [C&UOT] facebook friends

In article ,
pete writes:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:23:23 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:23:36 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of that and I've kept my personal information on

there
down to pretty much name rank and number ... and a link to my

personal
web site (on which there's also not too much intimate personal

info).

Yes, if you're *going* to do it, it makes obvious sense to take
reasonable precautions - but I *still* don't understand the motivation
for doing it in the first place! Just what do you hope to achieve?

I introduce enough inaccuracies to prevent it being used for
identity theft.

As you said employers search facebook. I'm half toying with having
some minimal information up there just so that I appear infront of
potential employers with basic work related information. Similarily
something on linkedin might be beneficial.

I've used LinkedIn (which seems to be the timewaster of choice for
professionals) and I've contributed a few bits to soem of the tech.
questions. However I've never really found anything useful on there
in terms of opportunities or job openings.
It may be that the value is simply in having a profile, rather than
strangers approaching you with job offers.

For me, the most interesting part of linked-in is seeing what
colleagues you worked with years ago are up to now.

I have advertised jobs on Linked-in too which is very much cheaper
than going through agencies, but in the end I've never taken on any
of the people who came through linked-in.

I get invites from plaxo too, but haven't joined it.

--
Andrew Gabriel