Posted to rec.woodworking
Knot Important Knot Important is offline

Default Making a ZCI for tablesaw

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:53:18 -0700, wrote:

You know, sometimes the most simplest thing turns into analysis
paralysis.

Want to make ZCI insert for my JWTS-10 Jet. I bought a ZCI some time
ago and I measured the thickness - 3/8". I measured the one on the JET,
same and just for fun, I measured from the leveling flange to the top of
the saw 3/8".

However, when I go looking for instructions, most are calling for 1/2"
ply or phenolic. The differences in thickness are usually handled by
rabbeting the ZCI so it sits flush.

To me, it sounds like 1) another router set up after I already mount the
flush bit to trim the blank 2) more time.

Why wouldn't you just use 3/8" ply or phenolic to make a ZCI, trim it,
drill for leveling screws and be done? I just don't know why 1/2
material would be that much better?

I've been looking at what's out there for sale in the already made
category and Leecraft has a minor sale on at Woodcraft (I think).

Does anyone have a JWTS-10 and purchased a Leecraft ZCI? If so, do they
undercut (rabbet) around the edge to fit in the throat? Meaning, is it
1/2" thick?

Cheez, you'd think this would be so easy. Woodcraft has a sale coming up
this weekend, so I thought I'd grab the necessary material to "roll my
own", but now I'm just caught in my own analysis paralysis. Somebody
help me to reboot!

Thanks,

MJ

If it is 3/8" the easiest way may be to use a piece of left over click-
lock style laminate flooring. I had a piece left over from a project.
It was the perfect height for my saw. I trimmed it to fit, dropped it in
place and moved the fence over it so it would not raise up, turned the
saw on and ran the blade to it's highest level. ShaZammm! The perfect,
strong, slick zero clearance insert!
Works real good, lasts long time, and it was FREE!