Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default A $5 part *****kills***** a $4000 Generac generator

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:12:47 +0000 (UTC), "Smarty"
wrote:

I am open to any ideas and suggestions, and much appreciate your time
in reading this, and possibly replying. Thank you very much.

I would replace that failure-prone bellows with a length of hose that
would be available at an auto parts store. I don't believe heat is a
big concern because it is on the intake side rather than the exhaust
side.

Is there is the possibility of shortening one or both of the tubes in
question to lengthen the "flex" area? If yes, the replacement hose
would have the vibration/mis-alignment spread over a greater distance
and therefore, reduce the probability of failure.

It sounds like the engineer that designed this part must have had his
head where it didn't belong.