Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave dave is offline

Default OT - eye test

On 21/07/2010 19:06, Dave Baker wrote:
Went for a free eye test at Tesco in Slough today cos my 20 year old frames
are broken and I need a new pair. Surprisingly my prescription hasn't
changed much more than a jot in nearly 35 years. Back in 1977 I was minus
1.75 dioptres in both eyes (short sighted) with a touch of astigmatism. The
astigmatism moved around a bit over the various tests over the years but the
basic sphere correction has stayed the same. My old specs work just as well
as they ever did. I thought eyes might get worse over time but apparently
not. I'm still minus 1.75 in both eyes and can still read the smallest print
on the charts despite the inevitable eye lense hardening over the years.

Do other people find the same or do eyes generally get worse over time?

I can't say. During my thirties my left eye started to elongate and I
was warned that my retina could detach. I ended up with a glasses lens
that was very thick in that eye. I then changed to hard contact lenses
until I was diagnosed with a cataract in the that eye. When the doctors
opperated I ended up with 20 20 vision in that eye (1998)

2008 I was diagnosed as having a detached retina and was told my vision
would never be the same again. It was not quite as good, but good enough
to drive without glasses.

Dave