Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default How amny cars have you owned and TCO?

On Jul 21, 1:14*am, Tony wrote:

Somewhere around this time I lost my license and had to buy my own car
and let others drive it for me for work. *Paid kids to do it for
$100/week but they got so bored they all quit.
Oh, that was a Mustang II. *Six cylinder piece of ****. *Mustard Yellow.

1982? junked the mustang and bought a GMC Gremlin. *No joking, I loved
that car and wish I had it. *When it wouldn't start I'd open the hood
and put the distributor cap back on. *The vacuum advance would leak gas
fumes to the distributer and first spark of the points, Pop! *Funny,
often it stayed in place enough that I drove it for who knows how long
until I popped the hood and saw the cap off again. *The plug wires were
the only thing holding the dist cap in place and it still ran great!

I went the opposite way...

1970 - '70 AMC Gremlin - *the* most appropriately named car in
history. What a pile of *Junk*.

1974 - '74 Ford Rustang-II - (traded in the Gramlin with 35K miles
(got $500 against the Rustang). It had 75K on it when it was totaled,
but very badly rusted. Wouldn't have lasted long.

1978 - '78 Ford Granada ESS - (delivered the morning after I totaled
the Rustang - coincidence, honest). Gave it away to someone who needed
a car to get to work in '91 w/140K on it.

1985 - '85 Plymouth Voyager LE - Got rid of it after its 4th head
gasket (100K miles) in '92

1990 - '90 Plymouth Voyager LE - Got hit 5 months after I got it -
13.5K damage. Damaged side completely rusted out on the kid in '98.
He'd been hit a couple of times and insurance had paid several times
its worth.

1992 - '92 Chevy Beretta - Gave it to the kid in '98. Sold to
"wholesale" in '03 (bought the kid a 2002 Taurus).

1995 - '93 Eagle Vision TSi - Junked in '2002 (transmission died) ~95K
miles

1998 - '96 Chrysler Intrepid - Sold at auction in '03 (transmission
"issues"). 75K miles

2001 - '01 Ford Ranger - will drive the wheels off it (currently 83K
miles)

2003 - '00 Mercury Sable LS - will replace in 2012 (SWMBO wants a
Mustang Convertible, now that we live where such things are
"reasonable"). currently 93K miles