Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Zenni again

I just got my new zenni order, and once again, they did great, for
cheap. Threee pairs of glasses (two progressive and one single-vision)
for $102.45 including shipping. Last time I bought locally, I paid
close to $600 for one pair.

I KNOW that my vision changes during the day, and I'm sure that my
prescription isn't as "perfect" as it could be. I'd also like to
customize my prescription for my various workstations. I know that can
be done with math and a ruler, but I'd really like to be able to zero
it in as close as possible. There was someone who posted here a while
back that they had purchased a set of trial lenses and made their own
prescriptions. I'm thinking I could do the same. Trial lens sets are
about $200 on ebay

There is this set for $225 with 158 pieces:
http://cgi.ebay.com/B-New-Trial-Lens...item4aa30012f0

and this set for $325 with 226 pieces
http://cgi.ebay.com/266-pcs-Metal-Ri...item3a5ccf1c23

my prescription falls into the lower range of diopters, so the extra
lenses wouldn't make a difference for me right now, but I wonder
whether it's penny wise and pound foolish to get the smaller set.

OR, there is this set with 232 pieces but in plastic rims for $225
http://cgi.ebay.com/B-New-Trial-Lens...item4aa3001572

So, my questions a

Is there anything wrong with using the plastic rims (remember I'm only
going to use these a few times a year), or are the metal rims way
better (that's the metal content to keep on-topic) ?

Does it make sense to buy the larger set?

If I do this for myself and for my wife a couple of times, the cost of
the lenses will be covered by what we would have paid at the eye
doctor in insurance copays. I'm thinking that with our current
prescriptions to get into the ball park, I ought to be able to dial it
in better than the doctor did. Is this a truly goofy idea, or am I
likely to be successful in getting a better prescription?