Dave Mundt

Default Butcher Block Top

Greetings and Salutations.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:59:37 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Dave Mundt" wrote in message
. ..

As for food safety....once again, I want to remind us all
that wood is SAFER than plastic...
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_boards.htm

Interesting article, but it assumes you're getting a cutting board made out
of a certain kind of wood. Some are marked, but there's an awful lot of crap
coming here from China.

And, even more interestingly, it appears that the original
study link NOW claims that plastic is safer. I wish I could feel
that this was academic research and not the results of political
pressures.
In any case, they make the very good point that all cutting
boards are "safe enough" if washed well with very hot water.

Anything I wash by hand is done in water so hot that it'll send you to the
hospital. Obviously, I wear thick gloves. Any time I handle raw meat or fish
on the plastic board, it's scrubbed with a brush and Comet powder. Plenty of
chlorine. That's followed up 2-3 times, until I don't smell chlorine on the
surface any more.

It's anal, but I've had food poisoning - the kind where you get your stomach
pumped. Never again. :-)

Yea...there is nothing fun about botulism. As my father, the
microbiologist, used to say: "there are three stages... #1-You are
afraid you are going to die. #2-You are afraid you AREN'T going to
die. #3-You get better.".
The fact of the matter is that a small amount of common sense
can keep the food prep surfaces safe enough. As you say...wash well,
with hot water (A strong bleach solution is as good or better than
scrubbing powder, as the cleanser CAN leave more scratches...)
Regards
Dave Mundt