Posted to misc.consumers.house
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Can't reliably turn on array of 8 CF bulbs

In article ,
Timur Tabi wrote:

The light fixture above my bathroom mirror holds eight light bulbs in
an array. When the house was built nine years ago, I used normal
incandescent bulbs.

I replaced these bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, and now I have
an odd problem. When I flick the light switch, sometimes the bulbs
will all flash for a instant and then all turn off. If I turn the
light switch off and back on again, the bulbs might stay on, or they
might flash again. Typically, I need to turn the light switch off-and-
on again about 3-4 times before the bulbs will stay on.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening, and what I can do
about it? It's driving me crazy.

FWIW CFLs are not recommended for use in humid environments