Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default How amny cars have you owned and TCO?

1975 bought a 55 2door hardtop. $200 No motor or tranny but my brother
had some crap ones he was going to let me put in to make it run.

1976 sold the first 55 back to my brother and bought a different one in
better condition. $350

1979 company car, a Vega station wagon. Drove that thing everywhere,
always filled the tank for the weekends, still sometimes I had to pay
for a little gas.

1980 I killed the Vega, they bought a new pinto station wagon for the
older employee and I got his Vega SW. That one was worse than mine.

1981 Got a brand new company car, a Pinto SW Stick shift. Ran OK but
didn't hold the road as good as the first Vega... and I pushed it to
it's limits all the time, The Pinto would overheat the front brakes
during rat racing on back roads, luckily it was stick.

Somewhere around this time I lost my license and had to buy my own car
and let others drive it for me for work. Paid kids to do it for
$100/week but they got so bored they all quit.
Oh, that was a Mustang II. Six cylinder piece of ****. Mustard Yellow.

1982? junked the mustang and bought a GMC Gremlin. No joking, I loved
that car and wish I had it. When it wouldn't start I'd open the hood
and put the distributor cap back on. The vacuum advance would leak gas
fumes to the distributer and first spark of the points, Pop! Funny,
often it stayed in place enough that I drove it for who knows how long
until I popped the hood and saw the cap off again. The plug wires were
the only thing holding the dist cap in place and it still ran great!

1984? Bought a really nice 1978? Monte Carlo with low low miles. Loved
that car also.

1988, traded in the Monte for a GMC Safari cargo van and started my own
business

???? Bought my first new vehicle, a full size 1/2 ton cargo van (last
year of the old style) Hated that vehicle! It handled bad, it road
bad, took 2 years and many trip to the dealer to put new axles in the
rear. Brakes would pulsate. First time they replaced the brake drums
and it still did it, I told them it was the axles. A whole other story,
you wouldn't believe what they did to it. Still under warranty a shift
solenoid went bad which left me with no low gear and no overdrive. Took
the idiots a few days to fix it, the computer was also bad making that
solenoid not right.

???? got a 1988? Thunder Chicken. It was loaded. I liked it, it was
like a Ford version of the Chevy monte carlo.

2001, gave T-Bird to my daughter for graduation. Back to driving only a
work van again.

2002 Got a new leftover 2000 1 ton Chevy cargo van for a song and a
dance. I think about $9,000 under invoice. Chevy wanted it sold so
they gave the dealer $3000 so they could sell it soon. Plus other
rebates, and free parts racks, and about $1500 less thanks to my GM card.

2004? A 2002 Saturn SL2 with 1,000 miles on the factory warranty. Boy
did I luck out

I still own the 55 Bel Air, the 2000 cargo van, and the Saturn