Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default The mill has homing switches on all axes

On 2010-07-21, Karl Townsend wrote:

So realistically, could I home at 60 IPM?

For stage 1, no problem. Assuming EMC rapids to the home switch then
backs
off at a lower speed. IIRC, my rapid is 100 ipm, back off at 5 ipm, find
index marker at .5 ipm. I nearly always "park" the machine on home at
shutdown so homing takes maybe 15 seconds at startup. I also save part
home
as the back left corner of the vice - one less step to do toward making
chips. You can be clamping your part in the vice as the machine finishes
homing. or you can be typing in your gcode. I hate to wait on machines

Karl, would anything change in your reasoning, if I used a limit
switch to home?

Galil has a built in home routine for home switches that is really
optimized. I did a custom home rountine off the limits for a fella, I must
say it was slow and clumsy by comparison. He would have been WAY better off
to install the home switches. But it does work.

Anyway, I can't answer for EMC.