Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default OT - Shop Dog is Gone

I am sorry to hear that. I think there is no better friend that a dog.

I am sorry for your loss.

On 7/16/2010 11:36 PM, RonB wrote:
We boarded our 13 year old German Shepherd early this week while we
went to Table Rock for a few day. He has been going downhill during
the past year; and lately he has had trouble just walking to the end
of our 120' driveway and back. I weighed him on the way into the
clinic/kennel and was surprised he lost about 8 pounds since April. I
asked the veterinary clinic to give me an assessment while he was with
them, because I have been fearing a decision we might have to make
soon.

Ever-faithful, Sam saved us the pain. When I went to pick him up
Thursday morning, I notice three young ladies standing at the end of
the hall looking at me and I got a little uncomfortable. Soon, one of
them called me into an exam room and told me he had passed the
previous day.

One of my most frequent visions of this dog has been him laying in
front of the dust port of my jointer and letting himself get covered
with shavings. Why he did it, I don't know but he did it from time to
time and would just lay there looking up at me with his head between
his paws; with a pile of shavings on his back.

Occasionally he would wait until a tool was turned off and he would
walk over and stare. Once his ears were scratched he would walk back
to his rug and lie down for a while. Lately the act of just getting
on his feet was very difficult, but he did it because he knew he could
get me to stop and scratch those ears. I think he did it more during
the past month than usual. Maybe he knew.

He was a big, gentle dog and he is missed.

RonB