Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23878 Ignoramus23878 is offline

Default The mill has homing switches on all axes

On 2010-07-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus21191 wrote:

I understand that with homing switches, my mill could very rapidly home
itself in all three dimensions at once. Which is a plus. At the same
time, it is not an absolute necessity.

What is your definition of 'rapid'?

Max speed? Just guessing?

Next thing, when you hit the home switch, you want the once per rev
marker pulse to be as close to 180 degrees away from switch
closure/opening depending as possible. Mechanical switches are not
very precise. If you set things up where the once per rev marker,
I'll call it the Z marker since that is what I'm used to is very
close to the uncertanty zone of a micro switch, you can have a axis
that is off one pitch at random times.

I think that missing it by 2.5mm is a bit of a stretch.

So realistically, could I home at 60 IPM?