Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New virus targets industry

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus23878 wrote:
Scary stuff, hopefully a virus does not get into my milling machine.
At least my mill does not run on Windows.

Windows or not, if your router / firewall doesn't map any ports to your
CNC control PC and you don't do any risky stuff on that PC like music
pirating, etc. you should have a very low risk of getting a virus on
your CNC control.

I've had many Windows PCs for years and have never had a virus on any of
them, including several that are online and on net 24x365. I always
wonder what dumb-ass stuff these people who constantly get viruses on
their PCs are doing.

They run games they download on the web. I know, my kids do all that
stuff, and their PC slowly ground to a halt, with about 7 custom
toolbars loaded on Firefox.

I finally put my foot down and installed Linux on their computer, and
have had much less trouble.

Jon