Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Odd electric motor behavior -- pool pump

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Ivan wrote:
Sometimes, when I start my pool pump motor, it turns for a few
revolutions, then pops the circuit breaker. Other times, it starts
and runs normally. This is not a case of clogged skimmers. Before
the breaker pops, I can run the electric light in the pool shed--the
breaker only pops when I switch the motor on.

The motor is ju-u-u-st out of warranty --installed May '09. Before I
spend $370 replacing it I want to be sure it's the motor and not some
electrical glitch in my wiring, or a problem with the pool pump. Any
suggestions?

You could check the voltage to the motor at startup. I would take the
motor apart and see if the.... don't know what it's called... the
centrifugal switch and contacts are working properly. It is what powers
the start winding then with speed it switches to the run winding.

Yeah, I'd be suspecting that centrifugal switch myself. Took me a while
to chase down an identical symptom on an air compressor motor a while
back, and that's what I eventually found as the culprit.