Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default New virus targets industry

Ignoramus23878 wrote:

On 2010-07-20, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus23878 wrote:

Scary stuff, hopefully a virus does not get into my milling machine.
At least my mill does not run on Windows.

Windows or not, if your router / firewall doesn't map any ports to your
CNC control PC and you don't do any risky stuff on that PC like music
pirating, etc. you should have a very low risk of getting a virus on
your CNC control.

I do not do music pirating from my mill, this would be a bit much (and
the milling PC has very little memory). I do music pirating from my
basement desktop/server. From there, the music is shared with the rest
of the house (including the mill) via NFS.

I don't pirate music at all. I'm not particularly music oriented, and
these days you can legitimately buy the individual tracks you may want
for $1 which is fine with me.

I've had many Windows PCs for years and have never had a virus on any of
them, including several that are online and on net 24x365. I always
wonder what dumb-ass stuff these people who constantly get viruses on
their PCs are doing.

I think that they visit websites.

The funny thing is that I visit plenty of websites as well and still
never get any viruses. Either they are visiting some really strange
websites, or their primary infection route is from stupidly opening SPAM
emails.