Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23878 Ignoramus23878 is offline

Default The mill has homing switches on all axes

On 2010-07-20, rangerssuck wrote:
On Jul 20, 12:23?am, Ignoramus21191 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
21191.invalid wrote:
I wired all limit switches and verified behavior of every limit switch
and every estop button.

Now both estop buttons work. Also all five limit switches work.

I have also discovered something nice: the mill actually has separate
home switches on all axis.

However, the schematic that I have, has no reference to those, it may
be an extra option on my mill that is not reflected in standard
schematic.

I understand that with homing switches, my mill could very rapidly home
itself in all three dimensions at once. Which is a plus. At the same
time, it is not an absolute necessity.

After all this trouble to "do things right," why in the world WOULDN'T
you want to hook them up?

I would, but may be not right away.

Even finding out what are the wire numbers is a pain.

Your machine isn't that big, it shouldn't be that difficult to trace
three sets of wires. Pull the cover on the home switch, clip one lead
from your multimeter to one of the switch wires and then probe the
various disconnected wires in the control cabinet to find the match.

For some reason, at least one of them (Z axis), the only one I looked
at, has three wires.

Running all three wires back to the control cabinet is a good thing, it
gives you the option of using either an NC or an NO configuration.
Connect all the wires from each home switch to your nice DIN terminal
blocks and just connect the terminals you're actually going to use on
through to your I/O card.

Maybe next month I will do it. I agree with you. It will home itself
on all axes simultaneously, and rapidly, it is really fun. But for now
I want to get the basic motion and safeties right.

The plan for tonight, is the Z axis!