Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mig Welders

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:02:55 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
Went to my building full of stuff and brought my Century MIG welder home.
It is Century item number 83145. 130A @30% duty cycle, 145A max @20%
duty
cycle. Primary 230VAC, 22A, I have sufficient 230V in the area, just
need
to make a plug adapter/extension cord.

According to the front panel it is supposed to be able to go as low as
24Ga
steel. I haven't found the owners manual PDF online but I should have it
around here somewhere! :-) I was able to find a PDF exploded parts view
of
it though.

http://www.centuryweldingparts.com/d...9,%2083145.pdf

I plan to get a bottle of argon/co2 mix tomorrow and connections so I can
plug it in to power. I'll give it a try on auto body and see how it
does.
It has pots for amp and wire feed, not stepped adjustments, I don't see
why
it wouldn't work OK.

RogerN

I have almost that same Century unit in a 110 model (Mine is a 135) Does
VERY good sheet metal welds down to 24-26 gauge. It has been used a LOT
and other than replacing the gun once because it got a bit HOT (guy was
welding with it and caught the carpet padding in the car on fire!!)
it has been a good machine.

My bigger units get used when the material is unique, like the high
strength alloys used in some autos today. Those you have to pay
attention to if you don't want a major failure. That is when having the
optional spot and stitch welding controls helps out.

Get yourself a couple copper spoons as well. They can be used on thin
steel to keep from burning through.

--
Steve W.

Thanks, it's encouraging to hear my welder may be sufficient for the auto
body welding. I'll have to get some sheet metal to cut up and practice
welding on.

RogerN

Just remember that most of the sheet metal you will find, is heavily
galvanized and has to be cleaned of it before welding...

Gunner

Gunner Asch