Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is there any public library of G-codes

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:35:33 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:36:19 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 20:49:46 -0400, "Buerste"

On 2010-07-16, Bob La Londe wrote:
Maybe this will help.

http://www.cncguns.com/

Wow, this is just outright awesome.

I've been threatening to make a few 15 and 10 uppers, all my shop guys
want
one. But, I only have one Bridgeport and it's stuffed with "Real" work.
Starting from a billet or an 80% is only a time difference. The biggest
thing that keeps giving me pause is I have no real use for one that my
Mini-14s can't do.

The thing that a decent AR can do that the Mini 14 cant do..is shoot a
group smaller than 3-5" at 100 meters. Or bigger.

Ive got a rare Mini-14..one that will shoot 5 in a 2" group at 100

I talked with a couple people and learned something about Mini-14s a few
years ago. You can get a lot better groups than you think... if you take
about 20 minutes between shots (more on a hot day). Now for the guy who
wants to go out to the range and blaze away that's pretty much useless
information. However, for a hunter who got sold a bill of goods and now
can't
afford a good rifle that can be very useful information. It only takes
one
or two shots to make a kill. Successful kills are usually with the first
shot.

One of the big problems with the Mini is the way its all bound up and
sandwiched together. The barrel gets all twisted out of shape as it heats
up. Rubbing against wood and plastic are part of it, but also how
concentric the bore is to the outside, and even maybe inconsistencies in
heat treating. If you shoot two or three rounds out of it in a minute the
barrel will be start to get hotter and it will start to twist. If you let
it cool for 15 to 20 minutes between shots it will have the same barrel
distortion for every shot.

Now mini's are not tack drivers under the best of conditions, but with
some
care and patience you can use them to consistently drop coyotes out to
about
150 yards. The round itself will drop them a lot further out, but even
dialed in I wouldn't trust the gun to make consistent center of mass shots
much further out that that and I hate to let an injured animal run away.

I didn't learn any of this stuff about minis until long after I unloaded
mine for not much more than scrap prices, because that's all I thought of
it. I swapped it for a computer hard drive.

Im in the process of assembling the raw materials to make one of
these...

http://www.har-bar.com/whatistheharbar.html

And yes..one shot accuracy can be decent..but I didnt buy a miniture
copy of the M14/M1A to be a single shot.

I know that, and neither did anybody else who bought one. Its just
sometimes you have to make the best of what you have. Heck for 100 yards
I'll take my little .22 magnum H&R break single over a Mini 14 if I have to
shoot more than once. Atleast I know I'll hit where I am shooting. Better
yet, my dad's .22 magnum H&R (pre Remington) semi auto. Now that thing is a
tack driver within its range. And cheap to shoot too. One of these days I'm
going to have to figure out how to talk him out of that rifle.

I've got a ****load of bolt
action repeaters and a number of actual single shots for that. The 30
round magazine might be the tip off....G

What? The Kalifornia Gun Gestapo haven't collected that high cap magazine
from you yet? You must live in Free Republic of NORTHERN Kalifornia.

Nah..all are clearly marked PreBan..G

And I live in the clearly Red..Central Valley Free Republic.

Gunner

Gunner Asch