Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M Scott M is offline

Default [C&UOT] facebook friends

John Stumbles wrote:

I'm gobsmacked how many people it suggests as friends, most
of whome I know but some I haven't corresponded with for years. How does
it do it?

Not only do people upload address books where your email address is
present, I've half a mind there's some mechanism for it to actually peer
into people's inboxes and scan the email headers for addresses.

If you want to be properly disconnected, start a Yahoo(etc) email
account *just* for FB.

Later on it also starts suggesting "mutual friends" merely based on
other people's friends lists which is daft. Particularly weird is when
you're then signed up as someone's friend when you don't know them. Had
this happen and, when someone pointed out we didn't know each other,
they said "Well, it said we both knew X, Y & Z so I thought we must know
each other."

--
Scott