Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Help mortise and tenon problem

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:08:07 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

I banged out some thru mortises this past winter for a new work bench.
I was going to use wedges to complete them, but I haven't cut the angle
in the mortise yet.

Anyway, I had dry assembled them together and now that summer is here I
can't get them apart. I have brought the assembly into my air
conditioned space hoping it will dry out wood and shrink it back to
winter conditions, but I'll bet that won't work. Anyone got any ideas
how I can them them apart. I have tried banging the hell out of them,
spreading them with clamps... nothing.

It is going to be the tenon edges that have it locked up,
it might be possible to insert a narrowed bladed multi
tool into the edges of the tenon and free the joints up.

basilisk