Posted to rec.woodworking
GROVER GROVER is offline

Default working with plexiglass

On Jul 18, 6:14*pm, Ed Lowenstein wrote:
I planning a project where I'll need to make boxes with plexiglass
sides. I need to know 2 things:
1. What adhesive to bond 2 pieces of plexiglass?
2. What adhesive to bond edges of plexiglass boxes too sapele base?
3. What thickness of plexiglass should I buy?
Thanks in advance.
--- Ed

I did the same project many years ago and offer the following tips in
answer to your questions.

1 . There are 3 techniques used to bond acrylic plastics together
depending on strength requirements, they are capillary, soak cementing
or reactive. The capillary method can be accomplished using ethylene
dichoride applied with a hyperdermic syringe. The reason for the
syringe applicator is neatness counts. Spills away from the seem will
show. Syringes are not easy to obtain as they have other nefarious
uses.

2 and 3. No idea.

Try reaching the acrylic manufacturers such as Rohm and Hass, DuPont
and many others. They usually can supply booklets or web sites with
details of fabrication which should authoritatively answer all your
questions.

Automotive tail light assemblies used (and maybe still are) to made of
cast acrylic plastics.

Joe G