Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Router lift recommendations

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:36:48 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How
easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you
have to operate the lift with your hands under the table. I'm just
wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared
to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price
difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

My older Triton has a fine adjust knob that you twist, it is at the top of
the router but the bottom when hanging therefore it is easy to reach. The
newer models allow adjustment from the top of the table. Additionally the
coarse adjust knob is located on one of the handles, that too is easy to get
to.

Given that, most of the after market router lifts do offer a method to raise
the bit a precise measured distance. I have never had the desire or the
need for any type reference, I use my eyes and a test piece to determine If
I am cutting in the correct location.