Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Moving a cast iron bath

OK chaps...

I hve a cast iron bath to move from an outhouse, to a first floor
bathroom. Having carried it once from trailer to outhouse, with a
neighbour's help, I'm aware of how unbelieveably heavy it is.

It needs to go up a flight of stairs with 3 winders at the bottom. The
stairs are newly fitted, and have newel bottoms but no balustrade.
They are stained and varnished and need not to be dinged or chipped.

There is nothing available upstairs to attach a block and tackle
to ;-)

Other than brute force, can anyone suggest techniques for getting it
up there without damage to stairs, bath or workforce?

Cheers
Richard

I had to get one such from out the back of the house, through a
narrowish door into an equally narrow passageway and then along into
the bathroom.

I dreamed up all sorts of scenarios and put several options into
place, but in the end found that 4 of us managed it without any bother
(and per person it was lighter than expected). Included was standing
it on its end to get through the back door, walking it forward and
then lowering it down in the narrow hallway.and then a carry.

OK we didn't have stairs I will admit. The winders will be the
problem but at least they are at the bottom. Having just got an
outsize wardrobe into a small house (one of the team classified it as
a 'behemoth' - old Egyptian for a hippopotamus apparantly), by sliding
it up ladders and through an upstairs window, I would suggest
something similar up your stairs - ie create a flat surface on the
stairs and slide it up on the top edges, everything suitably
protected. Push from the bottom and ropes from the top.

There is no easy way !! Make sure the upstairs team is up before you
block the stairway - they will have sleeping quarters and toilet
facilities but no food if the bath remains blocking the stairs !!

Rob