Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default How do you use crutches?

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:44:24 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?
Didn't the hospital give you lessons? When I broke(*) my ankle a
couple of years back they wouldn't let me out with crutches until the
phsyios had shown and seen me move on the flat and negotiate stairs,
up and down, on crutches.

I have not been to hospital.

Up: Place both cruches one step above where your feet are, slightly
wider than you shoulders apart. Lean forward lift you body with your
arms and give a slight hop to get the good foot onto the same step as
the crutches.

Down: Similar to up, crutches one step below, if anything lean a
little back lift your body with your arms and slight hop to lower
your good foot onto the same step as the crutches.

That seems to work

The work of lifting/lowering most of your body weight is done by your
arms. You'll soon end up like popeye. B-)

(*) Are you sure it's just a sprain?

No.

So who gave you the crutches then?

A neighbour whose son had sprained an ankle a few weeks ago! I offered to
drop them back at the hospital for him as I have already got an appointment
there on Tuesday.

We pay 36 billion a year for the NHS. £500 a year for every man woman and
child.

Might as well get your moneys worth.

Get an X-ray.

And experience more radiation in a second than you get from the entire
global nuclear power industry in a year! (including Chernobyl)

I have had 3 X-rays of my teeth already this year:-(

The swelling is going down and so is the amount of pain. Lots of nice
brusing.

Adam