Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do you use crutches?

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:

(*) Are you sure it's just a sprain? I was hobbling about on my
broken ankle for ten days before one of the nurses that was treating
the other injuries got an inkling that it might be broken and sent me
off for an x-ray...

Something similar happened to a work colleague 25 years ago.
He and his wife had booked a long holiday in some slightly 3rd
world location I don't recall, for which he'd saved up 2 years
worth of leave to take consecutively. First couple of days of
his holiday was actually preparation and shopping prior to
departure. During the shopping, he stepped off a kerb and badly
twisted his ankle. Spent next several hours in A&E, where it
was checked, X-rayed, etc, and he was sent home with pain killers
for a sprain.

Anyway, off they went on holday, him hobbling. After another
couple of days on holiday, he still couldn't walk and ended up
in a wheel chair, which he spent most of the holiday in.
When they eventually arrived home, they were greeted with a
letter from the hospital which had been sitting on the doormat
all the time they were away, saying the X-ray had been misread,
and he had a broken ankle. Anyway, that meant they could write
off the holiday as sick leave and claim on the holiday insurance,
and a few months later, they took it again. I don't recall if
any more treatment was applied to the ankle - I imagine it would
have healed by itself after that length of time.

--
Andrew Gabriel