Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buzzing from outside AC unit - outside fan is running

On 7/18/2010 5:15 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
"Stormin wrote in message
While the repair guy is at your home. Please ask him to clean the
condensor. He should spray on some chemical, onto the outdoor radiator
grille. This will foam up after a minute or two. He should rinse it
all off with a garden hose, and might need a second or third cleaning.
Cleaning the condensor will help with efficiency, and lower your
energy bill.

Do this after replacing the conactor, so he's not kneeling in water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I've actually cleaned the condensor coils myself - I took apart the sheet
metal pieces surrounding the coils and hosed them off real good - I think I
actually sprayed some kitchen cleaner \ degreaser on the coils after I hosed
them off the first time, and then after spraying them down with the
cleanser, hosed them off again. When I started, there was an unbelievable
amount of grass clippings and other, accumulated gunk in the coils.

Thanks for the suggestion !!

Most home owners don't realize that they must turn off the AC when
cutting the grass. The condensing (outdoor) unit is like a giant
vacuum cleaner and will inhale a lot of dirt and dust. I always try
to get customers to cut back the hedges from the unit and lay a bed
of pea gravel around the base of the unit and keep the pine straw
and other landscape fill away from the condenser.

TDD