Posted to alt.home.repair
AngryOldWhiteGuy AngryOldWhiteGuy is offline

Default Buzzing from outside AC unit - outside fan is running

wrote in message
On Jul 18, 3:01 pm, "RBM" wrote:

What you are hearing is the relay , or contactor,inside the condenser.
It
receives 24 volts from the blower unit, which energizes it's coil,
pulling in the relay,sending 240 volts to the condenser motor . When
these relays get old or worn, then start making humming or buzzing
noises. It's not an expensive part and with limited electrical
experience, can be changed by a homeowner.

Thanks RBM - "It is not an expensive part" is excellent news!

"with limited electrical experience" - I've never electrocuted myself -
guess that qualifies my experience as limited, but I think I'll call a
repair guy to do the work anyway.

Much appreciated!

Joe

For most people, calling the professionals is advisable. Here is a link to
typical condenser contactor. It is a double pole relay with a 24 volt
electromagnetic
coil:http://www.ecrater.com/p/6264911/24-...tactor-air-con...

I agree with calling a professional. Limited electrical experience
aside, limited AC experience might lead to enough confusion to cause
problems. It is good to knkow the likely problem, though, so it can
be priced out, and to avoid the laundry list of possible expensive
fixes.

Absolutely - I didn't wanna have a guy come by and tell me "contactor" and
give me a bill for $500. The part is around $30 - with labor, I'm thinking
that the total should be around $100.

Thanks again, guys!