Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] celticsoc@aol.com is offline

Default Buzzing from outside AC unit - outside fan is running

On Jul 18, 3:01*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote
in ...

"RBM" wrote in message

"AngryOldWhiteGuy"
wrote in ...
Hi - we have a typical home AC system - ours is a Ruud - the model
number on the outside unit is UAKA- 037JAZ. *It's been very hot here in
Texas - over 100 all day long, but the system is working OK and cooling
the house - plenty of cool air coming out of all the vents - the AC runs
a lot these days, but it always has when it's very hot outside since
we've lived here - I guess that's because it's an older unit (1996) and
not as efficient as some of the newer units. *The filter has always been
changed regularly.

For several months now, I'm hearing a loud buzzing noise from the
outside unit when it's running - the fan spins OK and there's hot air
coming off of the unit - the noise is nothing that keeps us awake at
night, but certainly noiser than my neighbor's units - they were
replaced within the past few years and they're newer.

Is this kind of noise typical of the older units?? *If not, what am I
likely to hear is the main problem from the AC repair guy if the unit
goes out and I need to make a repair call?

I had something on the outside unity replaced a few years ago - I think
it was the start capacitor.

Thanks!

What you are hearing is the relay , or contactor,inside the condenser. It
receives 24 volts from the blower unit, which energizes it's coil,
pulling in the relay,sending 240 volts to the condenser motor . When
these relays get old or worn, then start making humming or buzzing
noises. It's not an expensive part and with limited electrical
experience, can be changed by a homeowner.

Thanks RBM - "It is not an expensive part" is excellent news!

"with limited electrical experience" - I've never electrocuted myself - I
guess that qualifies my experience as limited, but I think I'll call a
repair guy to do the work anyway.

Much appreciated!

Joe

For most people, calling the professionals is advisable. Here is a link to a
typical condenser contactor. It is a double pole relay with a 24 volt
electromagnetic coil:http://www.ecrater.com/p/6264911/24-...tactor-air-con...

I agree with calling a professional. Limited electrical experience
aside, limited AC experience might lead to enough confusion to cause
problems. It is good to knkow the likely problem, though, so it can
be priced out, and to avoid the laundry list of possible expensive
fixes.