Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Efficiency in turning mutiples. (long on purpose)

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Arch" wrote: (clip) What are your favorite dodges for
making multiple turnings, (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your idea of using open-end wrenches as calipers is a good one. I don't
think I will bother to soften the metal, though, since the gap between the
hardness of wood and steel is so great that I don't think anything is
accomplished. As a matter of fact, I can see how a wrench, at full
hardness might be pressed on the piece while it is spinning to burnish it
to final dimension.

My recommended time-saving method is to do each operation on all the
pieces before proceeding to the next step. And, as part of that
procedure, I use a laser to set the position and depth of the cuts, so I
can place each feature how I want it without stopping for lots of
measurements.

What I normally would do is turn one piece to completion, using my
artistic judgment to get it the way I like. I then set my laser to a
significant point on the piece, and then turn that feature on each of the
other pieces. Then I return the first (finished) piece to the lathe, and
position my laser to another spot and go through the procedure again--and
so on.

What do you think, Arch? Would that speed up the process for you?

Maybe it's the heat today, maybe it's just that I'm dense when it comes to
some things mechanical, but I just don't get it, Leo. Can you please explain
in more detail for the thermally slow?