Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default looking to use an old manual drill fwith sockets

rlz wrote:
Thanks everyone for the posts. I now know its called a Brace. After
googling it, I found that Le Valley has what I'm looking for ...

I have been reworking the feedlot corrals other the last couple of years
which also have a tremendous number of lag bolts for both hinge mounting
and rails (they were built w/ roughsawn full-dimension 2x10-16 or -20
SYP on ties in the late 50s/early 60s).

I keep two Milwaukee red drills, one for pilot (ties) and one for shank
(rails) but as others noted, the tool for driving the lags themselves is
ratchet. One can use it (except for very few locations) in 360-rotation
until nearly driven before needing the ratchet-action. The stroke of a
brace and bit simply isn't enough torque (unless you're talking
toy-sized stuff imo). The batteries last a morning or afternoon of
continuous work at the rate can work by myself so one set of spares is
all that's needed for a day.

OBTW, after drilling and before driving, keep an oil can w/ a long,
straight spout of used motor oil and squirt a couple shots down the
pilot hole and on the lag before driving--makes all the difference in
the world in driving them.