Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default old delta drill press dp 400

On Jul 17, 6:29*am, cncmillgil wrote:
PIcked it up at an estate sale for 35bucks. Came with a like new vise,
planer head, circle cutter & some cheapo saftey router bits + they
through in a wilton adjustable ball thingie that I've already mounted
on a plates to hold work whilst polishing. The machine is in nice
shape, no rust- runs good. The keyless chuck seems to run out slightly
though. Looks like its on a M/T? How do you pop those off? Pickle
spreader?
I want to make sure its not threaded before I start hammeringg
I cant seem to find anything on DP 400. By what OWWM.com has, its from
the 40's. It looks just like DP220's only smaller. About 5 1/2 in
swing. Must have not been that popular being so small?
I found Delta/Rockwell did make a newer DP 400 though.
Anyone know anything about this model?

Thanks

Gil

The really OLD Deltas had a splined adapter. They had various
adapters depending on what the custormer wanted, even a MT socket that
stuck out a mile. Usually supplied with a JT taper for chucks. A snap
ring at the bottom of the spindle retained the adapter. You remove
chucks from the JT using special forked wedges, MSC used to carry
them. Used in pairs. This was with the floor-sized machines, I've no
idea what your particular model has. Probably a JT33 machined on the
spindle stub.

Stan