Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cncmillgil cncmillgil is offline

Default old delta drill press dp 400

On 2010-07-18, cncmillgil wrote:

On Jul 17, 6:32*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

* * * * Which kind of keyless chuck? *An Albrecht should be very
precise. *Some early designs of keyless chucks are terrible -- the kind
which used to be on hand held electric drills, or on eggbeater drills.
(Do they still make those things?)

* * * * And another consideration -- are you sure that it is runout, and
not simply that the quill is loose in the headstock casting? *These
don't have a clamp to hold the quill extended -- which can also be used
to reduce free play, so they can be rather loose.

* * * * [ ... ]

My mistake. *Its a jacobs taper holding the chuck on the spindle. Had
a J/T M/T brain fartg

* * * * Most drill presses have both a MT (in the spindle) and a JT (at
the chuck end of the arbor), so both at the same time are possible.

* * * * However -- this looks very much like one which I saw at a
hamfest which had a Jacobs taper machined directly onto the end of the
spindle.

* * * * Except that the weight listed in the auction (about 100 lbs) is
much heavier than what I saw at the hamfest.

Can't find any markings on the keyless chuck. Probably screwed up
jaws?

* * * * Does the chuck look like the one shown in the last photo in the
auction you pointed to below? *If so -- runout is a way of life with
those. *The jaws are spaced by compression springs in holes drilled in
the meeting faces of the jaws. *It does not take long before one of the
springs gets warped, and forces two jaws farther apart, leaving an
off-center grip for the drill bit.

* * * * Also -- some of that sort are tightened by screwing onto a
threaded shaft -- but you could tell that by adjusting the chuck to
maximum size. *If you don't see threads above the chuck body, it is
likely a Jacobs taper -- and the pickle fork pairs are called into
service.

* * * * Anyway -- the suggestion of a loose qull in the headstock is
eliminated by the photos here -- this has the split headstock with the
clamp bolt to lock the quill at a given extension.

* * * The OD of the chuck seems to run fine & the spindle is not
loose. It appears this machine did not have much use.
Just so happens theres one ebay just like mine, only that ones black.

* * * * What color is yours? *Black was common for a *long* time.

* * * * Or is it possible that yours was repainted? *Check around the
edges of the badge on the front belt guard for traces of paint applied
after the badge was installed.

* * * * Sometimes, shops painted all of their tools the same color for
whatever reason.

Maybe older? Mine has a craftsman 1/3hp moter.

* * * * Maybe. *The motor shown here is a 1/3 HP one as well. *Pity that
the serial number is partially covered with grease, so you can't compare
them, assuming they are the same maker and model number. *The one shown
is certainly an old one.

* * * * Good Luck,

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

Mine is gray. Its original paint - no over spray inside or out. Its S/
N tag is the red one listed he
http://wiki.owwm.com/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx
Its the Delta name plate on the front pully cover thats different.
So whos older? gray or black? I think black as I think backg

Gil