Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another Dave Another Dave is offline

Default [OT] Usenet/news servers

On 17/07/2010 21:44, D.M.Chapman wrote:
Ok, end of this month is the end of an era - UKC will be shutting down it's
news service :-(

Seems hardly any universities run news services anymore so our upstream
feeds have reached EOL and won't be being replaced so we will be effectively
cut off. Given we would have to find (pay) for a new feed and also replace
our existing machine (Sun E250 - ancient) it's not going to happen :-(

Sad given the history etc but more importantly, I'll lose access! (I'm one
of the few people still using it!).

Given this, I need to find another news server I can use. I know people
on here have recommended stuff before - is news.Individual.net still a good
option?

Not interested in much beyond uk.d-i-y tbh :-) Recomendations?

Darren

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Another Dave