Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default French Drains, Best Cover Material?

On Jul 17, 9:55*pm, ShadowTek wrote:
I'm putting in a 1'x1' french drain around the side of my house, and I'm
wondering what would be the best material would be to cover the top few
inches of the trench. The soil around here is mostly clay, and it seems
like a better idea not to use clay to fill in the top with, as I'd like
to allow for as much drainage in through the top as possible.

I plan on using 4" perforated flexible pipe, wrapped in a fabric sock,
with the remainder of the trench being filled to within 3 inches of
ground level with some leftover driveway gravel. I might use fabric
around the gravel as well.

You need to read up or talk maybe to the city engineer, architect, or
inspector its free. Many systems clog in few years if its done wrong,
mine is 90yrs old and still flowing fast.