Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default 60/40 vs. 63/37 Solder

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

To compare apples to apples, I called my supplier yesterday for
current pricing: 63/37, $13.80/lb. 60/40, $13.30/lb. I also asked
how many people were buying 60/40, and she confirmed that
well over 90% of customers use 63/37.

Fascinating. It raises the question of why there is such a huge
difference in the pricing of Kester's solders.

If you're referring to widely different prices from different suppliers,
it's the same with any product or service, of course. When the 99%
isopropyl topic come up, I plugged it into google's "shopping" tab.
Prices ranged from 2.79 to 14.50 for a pint of the stuff.

That isn't what I meant. There's a 20% difference in the price between
Kester's 60/40 and 63/37 solders.

Oh, so you didn't read my post after all. To reiterate, 63/37 is 13.80,
60/40 is 13.30. That's uh, let's see, oh yeah, less than 4%.

GASP!

Yes, I DID read your post, and Yes, I did understand exactly what you said.
To wit... that there was almost no difference in the prices of the 60/40 and
63/37 solders from your supplier. That's why I raised the question about why
there WAS such a large difference between Kester's solders.

I think it was plain from what I wrote that I was wondering why there was
almost no difference in your supplier's prices for solders from (presumably)
the same manufacturer, while Kester solders had a 20% difference. (See
above.) Must /everything/ be explained in excruciating detail five times
over?

This happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over, and not just to me. It's because people don't read carefully, then
think about what they've read. Believe me, I sometimes am about to respond
to a post, then discover I'm mis-understood it.

AH-SO! At last we're communicating. Yep, usenet is tough that way
sometimes. Here's the missing piece: The solder I buy IS KESTER. The
EXACT same stuff that you buy. Only two differences: The disparity in
formulations is less, and the price is roughly half.