Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Carl is offline

Default Solar Power

On Jul 17, 6:33*pm, "Phil Kangas" wrote:
"Stu Fields" wrote in message
"Stu Fields" wrote in message
I forgot to mention in 6 days of operation, our new solar
panel system
claims to have saved: *Are you ready?

* * * * * * * * * * * *300# of Co2

If Al Gore is reading this a text message of applause
would be nice.

I made a mistake the thing this am says 500# of Co2 saved.

500 pounds of CO2 in six days? That's an incredible amount!
I'm a bit suspicious of that number. How can it be so high?
Anyone care to explain?
I don't believe it........
phil

Phil

Let me take a stab at that one, I will make educated guesses as
needed.
500 pounds C02 equates to 136 pounds of carbon and 364pound of Oxygen
I believe that they are assuming the solar power is replacing
electricity derived from coal, oil, or natural gas. I'll use coal
(because it seems easier right now) but I don't believe it will make a
big difference.
Assume that coal is mostly composed of long hydrocarbon chains the
carbon to hydrogen ratio is roughly 1/2 on an atom basis, but 12/2 on
a weight basis, so the 136 pounds of carbon came from 159 pounds of
coal.
A quick google search says that coal has 8000-13000 BTU per pound and
that a BTU equals 2.93X10^-4 KWh, Assume that power generation is 50%
efficient at extracting the energy in coal. So with a little math
Stu's solar electric system has generated 3.7 KWh worth of
electricity.

CarlBoyd