Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Shop Dog is Gone

Yes, 13 is a long time for a dog. *Still doesn't help the loss.
BTDT. *I've taken two on the one-way trip to the vets. *Probably the hardest
thing I've done.

I had heard of Shepherds going 14 years but 10-12 seemed to be the
normal life span. Several years ago a couple moved into our old
neighborhood. They had a 14 year-old female that was in terrible
condition. She could barley walk and probably didn't weigh more than
45-50 pounds. They were an older couple and she was their baby. I
couldn't help but wonder how long they were going to keep her going
before they made the tough decision. She like Sam just passed one
day.

I have thought of them often lately because I knew our decision time
was coming but old Sam, true to breed, helped us out in the end.

He was a tough old coot. We used to get up early and walk 3-6 miles
every morning. I have thought, lately, that that exercise program
might have kept him going, even later when age was beating him up.

He is in a better place now and frankly I am relieved he was able to
go with dignity.

Still gonna miss him.

Thanks for all of the comments. Dog's don't get real funerals but the
Group is a good place to eulogize.

RonB