Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cncmillgil cncmillgil is offline

Default old delta drill press dp 400

On Jul 17, 7:59*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

*cncmillgil wrote:
PIcked it up at an estate sale for 35bucks. Came with a like new vise,
planer head, circle cutter & some cheapo saftey router bits + they
through in a wilton adjustable ball thingie that I've already mounted
on a plates to hold work whilst polishing. The machine is in nice
shape, no rust- runs good. The keyless chuck seems to run out slightly
though. Looks like its on a M/T? How do you pop those off? Pickle
spreader?
I want to make sure its not threaded before I start hammeringg
I cant seem to find anything on DP 400. By what OWWM.com has, its from
the 40's. It looks just like DP220's only smaller. About 5 1/2 in
swing. Must have not been that popular being so small?
I found Delta/Rockwell did make a newer DP 400 though.
Anyone know anything about this model?

It appears to have a morse taper in the spindle. *The parts breakdown below
shows the situation. *You will need a morse taper wedge to pop the arbor out. *
These wedges are common as dirt.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...-press-parts-c...
12674.html

Joe Gwinn

thanks, but that link is for the "new" DP400.
looking at the patent label, they are from the 30s!
Whats a good rust preventive to coat the unpainted surfaces?

Gil