Slowhand

Default Finishing choices for hard maple?

"Scott Geyer" wrote in message

I'm thinking of going with a dye for light color, but what are some
recommendations for finish coats?
Any links to finishing techniques that I should check out?

Staining maple is (even a light color) is difficult because the wood is so
dense, it has a hard time soaking in to the grain. I prefer a wipe on
polyurethane for maple. Watco makes a nice wipe on poly. I've also had
good results with minwax wipe on poly. If you are feeling ambitious, try
making your own wipe on poly. My formula is 1/3 poly, 1/3 watco oil, and
1/3 mineral spirits. Add or delete the amount of mineral spirits to get the
desired consistancy. I usually apply about 5 or so coats and wet sand
through 600 grit. Apply the final coat lightly with no sanding. IF you do
make your own formula, use gloss poly because when you are done, the sheen
will end up a satin because of the other mixtures you add.
SH