Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Usenet/news servers

In article ,
D.M.Chapman dmc@puffin. wrote:

Ok, end of this month is the end of an era - UKC will be shutting down
it's news service :-(

Has an email from Pipex (Opal) saying the same. Or rather that I'll have
in future to pay Giganews for what I get for 'free' at the moment.

Seems hardly any universities run news services anymore so our upstream
feeds have reached EOL and won't be being replaced so we will be
effectively cut off. Given we would have to find (pay) for a new feed
and also replace our existing machine (Sun E250 - ancient) it's not
going to happen :-(

Sad given the history etc but more importantly, I'll lose access! (I'm
one of the few people still using it!).

Given this, I need to find another news server I can use. I know people
on here have recommended stuff before - is news.Individual.net still a
good option?

I've already set up free accounts with Aioe and News Eternal-September.
Both seem to work fine.

Not interested in much beyond uk.d-i-y tbh :-) Recomendations?

Darren

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.